Friday, December 19, 2014

Favorites Friday - Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code

*Friday Favorites is a weekly meme hosted by the beautiful Miss Natalie over at The Book Lover's Life.

This week for Friday Favorites, I would like to highlight Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. I had a difficult time picking a favorite Dan Brown novel, as I love them all equally. Since it is just about time for the Christmas holiday, I went with this one. Mr. Brown's work is so well researched, so historically accurate that I physically feel like I am a character in his elaborate plot lines. From the international best selling The Da Vinci Code, which is an entirely real conspiracy theory, to Angels & Demons and the very real concept of the Illuminati- the man is an incredible writer! I myself am a conspiracy theorist, and Mr. Brown has a natural talent of bringing them to life. The Da Vinci Code is based on a legend about the Holy Grail. Most of Christendom believes that the Holy Grail is the cup that Jesus drank from during the Last Supper, but this book proposes that it is so much more. Jesus was a man with a wife and ultimately, a child. The Holy Grail, Sangreal, translated literally to mean Royal Blood; the bloodline of Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene. Langdon and Sophie, the main characters in this delicious treasure hunt of a novel, are on a quest to find the secret society that keeps the Holy Grail safe. Sophie's grandfather is murdered in the opening scene, and he ends up being the Grand Master of this ultra secret brotherhood called The Priory of Sion. For centuries, they have been in possession of this ancient secret, so old that they were once led by Leonardo Da Vinci himself. A group that focuses on the goddess aspect of Christianity, an aspect that has been completely demonized by the church. The sacred feminine in our modern times is no longer sacred. Most people do not realize that all aspects of the Christian religion was VOTED on in 325AD by Constantine and his followers. The Council of Nicea set the dates for Christian holidays, chose which books from the Bible would be considered doctrine, as well as Christ's divinity. Was he a human prophet, or a divine being? Guess who won that vote folks? (:

After this council meeting, the Christian church began to erase all parts of Jesus's life that portrayed him as a human being. They were, for the most part, successful. Until the discovery of the Gnosis Gospels. In these documents, there is one that is aptly named, The Gospel of Mary Magdalene, as well as the Gospel of Phillip. These long lost documents make reference that Jesus is married to Mary; one line states that Jesus loved Mary more than the other disciples and would often kiss her on the mouth. Regardless if Jesus was human or divine, the fact that the Christian church repeatedly tried to cover up these documents raises the ultimate question: Is there a truly royal bloodline of Christ, and to what lengths would the church go to cover it up if so...?!

If you are one of the few people on earth that have yet to read this book, I highly recommend it. The well-researched history alone was enough to snag me, but the treasure hunt is wonderful! Full of high paced drama and intrigue, I had a hard time putting this book down. I have read it numerous times and I know exactly what happens, but I still only set it aside for emergencies! And please, do not let the controversial concept of Christ scare you away. Even if Jesus was only a man, he was a true prophet that spoke of love. I don't feel that a person needs a physical place of stone and mortar to be able to communicate with God- one only needs their own heart and mind to find what they are looking for... (:

Happy holidays to all of my lovely readers. I hope this post finds everyone well and looking forward to the joys of family and friends, which is what this time of the year is really about. I am having a wonderful, fun filled Winter Break! I have been slacking on my blogger responsibilities, but I will get there soon everyone! Thank you so much for reading. Muah!

13 comments:

  1. I agree! I LOVE The Da Vinci Code!! It was one of those books that I couldn't put down and honestly, all of Dan Brown's books are like that! It's his way of putting out his theories and ideas in a very confident way that pulls you in from the get go. My dad actually made me read this one. It was one of my first Dan Brown book. I was very young then and didn't read novels much. One of his best books without a doubt and Inferno come second in line. Nice post! :)
    Eclectic Introspections @ Flickering Lights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tell that he does tons of research before he even begins writing the book. He knows exactly what he's talking about, and that's really important to me as a reader! I absolutely loved Angels & Demons too; the scientific aspect thrown in there was wonderfully well done and interesting to me. No wonder it takes the guy three or four years to write a novel! haha Thanks so much for the comment, and for stopping by (:

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I haven't read ANY Dan Brown books... I'm ashamed... But I want to and hopefully will at some point because I've heard such amazing things!

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/blog-tour-thunderlight-dragonian-series.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh Anna.. you have to read him someday! Each book is an adventure; a crazy, non-stop, twisted adventure! I totally recommend this one, or Angels & Demons.. both are incredible. Thanks for stopping by girl (:

      Delete
  3. Funnily I haven't read a Dan Brown yet but I suppose it would have to happen eventually but I've seen the movies LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I highly recommend any Dan Brown book, but definitely this one or Angels & Demons! His books flow so well, with wonderfully researched historical societies and artwork.. ahh.. he's just an amazing writer! (;
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you have such an amazing blog - I can't believe I hadn't found it before. I loved the Da Vinci Code - it'll always be one of my all time favorites - thanks for sharing =)

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Benish! I don't have a whole lot of time to get my name out there, but I'm glad you stumbled on me (:
      I will definitely check yours out as well girl. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Oh I absolutely love this one, too. However, the more books of his I read, the more I realized how formulaic they all are. Loved them, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I found myself not quite enjoying Lost Symbols or Inferno as much as his first four novels. I couldn't quite put my finger on what changed, but you're right.. they did get more formulaic and cut and dry. Sigh. He could have possibly been my favorite author if he would have stopped at Da Vinci Code! haha Thanks for stopping by girl (:

      Delete
    2. Eeek - I'm one of the few people that haven't read this book! I've seen it around before, but never picked it up. His writing sounds absolutely fantastic. It's always refreshing to read a story with an impressive amount of research done, and elaborate characters. Love your review (as always)!

      Delete
    3. Awe, thank you girl! I do hope you eventually decide to pick up one of Mr. Brown's books.. he's phenomenal. Have you ever seen the movies, Angels & Demons or Da Vinci Code? After reading the books, of course, the movies were awful, but they still are able to get the point across.. You get a general idea about what the books focus on. Anyways.. thanks for stopping by Cambrie! (:

      Delete
  6. I haven't actually read a Dan Brown book yet...I've seen the movies for both The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons and I LOVED them, but of course I want to read the books too. I was always worried that they would be difficult to read and hard to get into though....I will have to pick them up and see for myself.

    http://www.ablondelibrarian.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete