Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Book Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen
By Victoria Aveyard
Red Queen #1
Hardcover: 383 pages
Publication Date: February 10, 2015
Publisher: Orion
Rated: ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
4 out of 5 Stars

| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |
Related Reviews: | An Ember In the Ashes | The Young Elites |
Categories: Dystopian, Fantasy, Magic


The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

I have read so many mixed reviews of Red Queen, and it seems that there are two sides to the debate. The first is that this book is phenomenal, a wonderful original dystopian novel. The second is that this book is a carbon copy of The Hunger Games. Well.. then I am thankful I have yet to read that series. I am a proud member of the first group; I loved this book! The world building is wonderful, and I was able to conjure a constant image of the story in my mind. I was also able to connect with all of the characters in their own way.

A young girl, about to be shipped off to a war that isn't hers to fight. A young prince, heir to the throne of his people. An unlikely match, yet impossible to deny their instant connection. That is, until she betrays him in the worst way possible. Ahh.. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but come on Miss Aveyard? Was that ending, and the subsequent betrayal absolutely necessary!? It has me questioning every single one of the characters and their loyalties. One of the quotes used a lot is: "Anyone can betray anyone." Looking back, I probably should have realized the ultimate twist from the start. I was too caught up in the story. Too immersed in the world of Red and Silver to thoroughly pay attention to the ultimate deception. The darkness of the ending twist made all the more sweet by the author's ability to distract the hell out of me.

I am officially a fan of this series, and I am now looking forward to the release of the second in the Red Queen Series in February 2016! I am hoping that Glass Sword will find her growing relationship with a certain someone who saves her life, as well as an increased ability to use her powers. The whole controlling lightning idea is pretty badass, indeed. I have begun to feel a growing unease with the current dystopian style novels that find themselves gracing the pages of my fellow bloggers. Little originality. Carbon copies. And maybe if I had a little more experience with the genre, I would have felt that unease with this story as well. Thankfully, that is not the case. As to the case of the love triangle that I've heard murmurings about, it is almost non existent. The romance aspect of this novel is not at the forefront of the story, so it kind of just slips past the reader without leaving much of an impression. For that Miss Aveyard, I am more grateful than you will ever know.. :)

“I will never make the mistake of loving you ever again." "So you choose him?" That's all this ever was. Jealousy. Rivalry. All so shadow could defeat the flame.”

“I told you to hide your heart once. You should have listened.”

"I'll make the other scream for you, Mare, every last one. Not just your parents. Not just your siblings. But every single one like you. I'm going to find them, and they will die with you in their thoughts, knowing this is the fate you have brought them. I am the king and you could've been my Red Queen. Now you are nothing.”

“The gods rule us still. They have come down from the stars. And they are no longer kind.”

Related Reviews
| An Ember In the Ashes | The Young Elites |

Connect with Victoria Aveyard
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |

11 comments:

  1. Sadly, I'm one of those people who were let down by this book.... it was still a good read and I enjoyed it but it was simply built up with too much hype that I expected more. Great review though!

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so wanted to read this when it was released but I somehow forgot to buy it hehe ^^
    Anyways, I'll put it on my to-read list and read it one of these days.
    Great review by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Red Queen just yet, mainly because after so many mixed reviews, I was put off from it. Alot of reviewers with opinions I trust, rated it pretty low, so I was completely stuck on whether I should pick it up or not. However, I'm VERY curious to see what side of the spectrum I'll be on, so I think I'll pick this one up in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad you loved this book!! I mean what YA book doesn't remind you of 10 others? I'm hoping that 'certain someone' is Cal, because I seriously love him <3 haha, I can't wait for Glass Sword and I'm so glad we can completely obsess over it now!
    Great review!!
    Also LOVING your current reading btw, you will no doubt love them, enjoy <3
    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, I am a part of those who didn't really like this and found it very similar to The Hunger Games. A lot of people who've read more fantasy novels said it was just like Red Rising, because of the red bloods and all that. Anyway, it's great you enjoyed this. I'm still contemplating on reading the next book though. Great review, Morrighan!

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked it! I absolutely loved Mare's power of lightning, and I really hope we get to see more of it in Glass Sword. Great review :)

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see you liked this, I've also been torn about reading because of mixed reviews. Great Review
    ~Tori @ InToriLex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I have been considering reading this one, even though everyone says it is a carbon copy of Hunger Games. I loved that series, but I am still curious about this one. I am glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book is on my TBR List. Based from your description it doesn't sound too much like The Hunger Games. I'm curious why people think it is, though.

    Majanka @ I Heart Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sniper Strike Special Ops Hack Gold and Cash live generator created to make the game easier for all gamers.
    Sniper Strike: Special Ops Hack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Free Fire Battlegrounds is a third-person survival game.

    ReplyDelete