Saturday, May 24, 2014

Everneath Series



Rated 3.2 out of 5 stars
By Brodi Ashton
Book 1: Everneath; Book 2: Everbound; Book 3: Evertrue

Nikki lost everything she cared about six months ago and chose to go to the Everneath with Cole, an everling. The Everneath is a form of the Underworld made only for everlings, immortals who need to feed off of human energy to exist. Nikki spent six months there with Cole, but chose to return to the Surface to reconnect with her ex boyfriend, Jack instead of becoming an immortal queen. Yet she only has six months to live until the Everneath comes to claim her for eternity. Will she choose to die in the Everneath or become immortal and feed off of humans for eternity?

I was really looking forward to reading this series. The idea of retelling the Hades and Persephone myth in a modern setting was intriguing for sure.. and then I actually read it. I can't begin to explain how disappointing the series turned out to be. The first book, Everneath was more original than I assumed it would be, but the second and especially third book let me down exponentially. The concept is wonderful, but the characters and plot lines were not well written. Nikki, IMO, is a spoiled brat and her obsession/romance with Jack is cheese worthy. Cole is the only character well written in the book and he is the one we are supposed to hate. The world building wasn't as good as it could have been, with an entire Underworld to describe- the details were lost on me. I couldn't picture it in my head and that is not acceptable. All in all- the story could have been great but it failed to impress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment