Friday, July 31, 2015

Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns & Roses
By Sarah J. Maas
A Court of Thorns & Roses #1
Hardcover: 416 pages
Publication Date: May 5, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury

My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ ( 4 out of 5 Stars )

| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |
Related Reviews: | Wicked | The Lost Prince |
Categories: Faerie, Fae, Magic


When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

Faeries. Sigh. The folks that have been following my blog over this past year have become accustomed to my slightly unhealthy fae obsession. For the new readers; welcome to a glimpse of my insanity. I will read anything and everything written about the fae world. I was raised by a woman that wholeheartedly believed in the existence of this ancient race of advanced beings. Any research done into the ancient Celtic legends of the Tuatha de Danann will result in a bit more understanding of the ability to believe in these creatures. The story basically states that a race of beings, far more advanced than our own ancient ancestors, descended upon the world from the skies. Hmm.. Sounds a bit like extraterrestrials, you say? These beings were so powerful that the ancient Celts worshiped them as Gods. Their race was called Faerie, and the most powerful among them became the Tuatha de, the Gods of the Celts. With that information, the existence of the fae hopefully does not seem so far fetched anymore. Enough history lesson.. onto the review.. :)

I was beyond excited that such a hugely popular author would take on a story about faeries. This is my first Sarah J. Maas book, but it will definitely not be my last! Her world building skills are wonderful. I could picture in my mind exactly what the author was describing, and that is truly one of the most important aspects to me. I judge every single book I read based on the author's attention to details, their ability to make me see what they are describing. Miss Maas is a powerful weaver of worlds, and I am awed by her ability to create the beauty that is Prythian. A pond of starlight? Are you freaking kidding me?!

My sole complaint were the characters. I didn't really connect with Feyre right away, although that is probably the most awesome name I have ever heard, and may even have to name my future daughter after the lead character in this book. Anyway.. I didn't find myself feeling anything more for her than a vague sense of pity that her life turned out the way that it did. Tamlin's character, although a big better, was too perfect. He was the perfect male in every way, and what fun is that? An ancient high lord of Prythian; he was cheesy and mushy and just.. too vanilla for me. But Rhysand. Oh my. I see a love triangle brewing in Miss Maas's mind, and it quite possibly could be the only love triangle that I have ever hoped for in a book. Ever. Rhys is sexy, arrogant, sarcastic, powerful.. my perfect male in every way. Dear god.

While I really enjoyed this book, I can only give it 4 Stars due to the lack of connection with the two main characters. The world is so beautifully written, my disappointment with the characters is not such a big deal, but I do hope Miss Maas works on that in the next addition to this series. I recommend this to everyone! This would be a great first read for anyone looking to dive into the urban fantasy world.

"I let the sounds ravage me, let them lay me flat and run over my body with their drums. Up and up, building to a palace in the sky, a hall of alabaster and moonstone, where all that was lovely and kind and fantastic dewelled in peace. I wept- wept to be close to that palace, wept from the need to be there. Everything I wanted was there- the one I loved was there-"

"He brought his lips to my ear. "I would have been gentle with you, though." I shuddered as I closed my eyes. Every inch of my body went taut as his words echoed through me. "I would have had you moaning my name throughout it all. And I would have taken a very, very long time, Feyre."

“Would you like me to grovel with gratitude for bringing me here, High Lord?" "Ah. The Suriel told you nothing important, did it?" That smile of his sparked something bold in my chest. "He also said that you liked being brushed, and if I'm a clever girl, I might train you with treats." Tamlin tipped his head to the sky and roared with laughter. Despite myself, I let out a quiet laugh. "I might die of surprise," Lucien said behind me. "You made a joke, Feyre." I turned to look at him with a cool smile. "You don't want to know what the Suriel said about you." I flicked my brows up, and Lucien lifted his hands in defeat. "I'd pay good money to hear what the Suriel thinks of Lucien," Tamlin said. A cork popped, followed by the sounds of Lucien chugging the bottle's contents and chuckling with a muttered, "Brushed.”

Related Reviews
| Wicked | The Lost Prince | Dark Swan Series |

Connect with Sarah J. Maas
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |

22 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear you liked this book as I love it! I also agree that Rhys is awesome!

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book everywhere, and I'm currently trying to get my hands on a copy! I can't wait to read it, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. Great review! :)

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently reading this, and I'm really glad you like it! I am loving it so far as well, and i definitely agree with what you said about Sarah J Maas's attention to detail. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this one for the most part. I loved how SJM described the Fae world and built it up. The romance in this book was full of passion and sparks and chemistry. I loved Tamlin and Feyre together. I really liked the twists and nods to Beauty and the Beast. The last third of the book was crazy awesome! Nice review

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got my copy of this and I'm excited to pick it up! Really looking forward to Rhysand, because daaaaamn, of all reviews I've read, he's always a special mention. ;D Wonderful review, Morrighan! :)

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit that I didn't enjoy this book as much as Maas' Throne of Glass series, you have to read it! I think after the main character, Celaena, in that series I unfortunately found Feyre quite bland. I agree with you on Tamlin being too perfect, I like my male characters with some flaws. ;] But Rhys was amazing!!! Great review! :)

    www.bookrantorrave.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You love the Fae too? Oh I love you!!! They are totally the way to my heart and earn major bonus points! Your review is soo on point Morrighan, I loved Tamlin but as you said he was 'too perfect', I think thats why I was a blubbering mess when Rhysand came into the picture? That man.. *swoons*, you are not the only one begging for a love triangle, it's so messed up but from the talk on the Goodreads page we are totally getting one ;)
    As I've said fabulous review! <3
    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a good read! I'm slightly obsessed with fairies too, so this one will go on my buy list.


    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read this one and LOVED it so, so much!! Tamlin was amazing. I do agree that it took me a while to get into Fayre's character, but I did come to love her. Her relationship with Tamlin was HOT. This is only the second book I have read dealing with the fae world and I am hooked. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you liked this! I read the preview of this & I loved it, but I haven't gotten the book yet. I love SJM's Throne of Glass series so I'm really excited. And it seems like I'll be getting some new book boyfriends ;)

    ~Cari @ My Addiction: Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I did, too, but with slight hesitation. It's all good, it makes me want to read the next one at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Review, I don't usually read any fae tails, but I will definitely be checking it out!!
    ~Tori @ InToriLex

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I can't stop hearing about this author and her books. So I will put this on my to-read list but I'll have to read Glass of Thrones series first ^^
    Lovely review :)
    @ "Book Addict"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey I nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award! You can see it here http://angelerin.blogspot.com/2015/08/blogger-recognition-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore that book, glad you liked it! (Plus new follower!)
    I also nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award, see details here: http://lessrealitymorebooks.blogspot.ie/2015/08/the-blogger-recognition-awardi.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved ACOTAR, but I didn't really find any connection with Feyre as well. I have to agree that SJM's world building is truly spectacular! I was so frustrated at the end though because I sensed a love triangle in the second book :((( Great review!

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
  17. I nominate you for Blogger Recognition Award!
    http://fearstreetzombiereviews.blogspot.com/2015/09/blogger-recognition-award.html

    -Ash @ http://fearstreetzombiereviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really loved this book :) Glad to see you enjoyed it too! Also loving your blog - I just stumbled across it and noticed you seem to have the same taste in books as me :) Count me as a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Free Fire - Battlegrounds Hack Coins and Diamonds online generator created to make the game easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rules of Survival Hack Gold and Diamonds online generator created to make the game easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Sims Mobile- Create your Sims, give them unique personalities, and customize their world with more detail than ever before on mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome to Fortnite V-Bucks Online Hack.

    ReplyDelete