Friday, March 10, 2017

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder
By Marissa Meyer
Series:The Lunar Chronicles #1
Hardcover: 390
Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ✯ ( 4.5 out of 5 Stars )

| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | @Marissa_Meyer | Facebook |
Related Reviews: | Heartless | Splintered Series |
Categories: Fairy Tale Retelling, Fantasy, Favorites

Sixteen-year-old Cinder is considered a technological mistake by most of society and a burden by her stepmother. Being cyborg does have its benefits, though: Cinder's brain interference has given her an uncanny ability to fix things (robots, hovers, her own malfunctioning parts), making her the best mechanic in New Beijing. This reputation brings Prince Kai himself to her weekly market booth, needing her to repair a broken android before the annual ball. He jokingly calls it "a matter of national security," but Cinder suspects it's more serious than he's letting on. Although eager to impress the prince, Cinder's intentions are derailed when her younger stepsister, and only human friend, is infected with the fatal plague that's been devastating Earth for a decade. Blaming Cinder for her daughter's illness, Cinder's stepmother volunteers her body for plague research, an "honor" that no one has survived. But it doesn't take long for the scientists to discover something unusual about their new guinea pig. Something others would kill for.

fantasy book reviews

I postponed reading this book for so long. The whole cyborg, futuristic feel isn't really my cup of tea. So here I am, kicking myself in the ass for missing out on this absolutely amazing series! Cinder(ella) as a cyborg; you can understand my hesitation. Cinder is freaking awesome in every way, a kickass female protagonist. I fell in love with her strength and determination to do the right thing, regardless of what she had been through. Not to mention her sarcasm is on point! I found myself laughing several times throughout this read.

Prince Kaito is my favorite character for obvious reasons, though. Kai is sexy, smart, and open minded. I am not a huge fan of the insta-love thing either, so imagine my relief when Cinder didn't immediately fall for him. Sure, there was an attraction there, but Cinder didn't change her outlook of 'never needing a man'. She didn't change herself for him, and that made me fall in love with both characters all over again.

Queen Levana and her entourage sufficiently made me want to throw the book across the room. Kudos Miss Meyers. I hated her with every fiber of my being, as well as the stepmother and sister. Adri contrasted wonderfully with the evil stepmother from the original story, and Pearl. Ugh. I wanted to rip her hair out multiple times. The characters were written so well that I found myself hating them, even when I wasn't reading. While cooking dinner, or at the grocery store, I found that I still wanted to punch them in the face!

All in all, I truly loved all aspects of this fairy tale retelling of Cinderella. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I cannot wait to read the rest of this series, following along with the cyborg Cinder and her rebels. I never got bored with it, and if I'm being completely honest, I binge-read the entire thing. 5am is a lonely place when you finish a book, look around, and realize you have to reenter the world of responsibilities and to-do lists. Sigh. Please, if you haven't read The Lunar Chronicles yet, don't let your misconceptions let you put it off any longer, like I did. Give it a shot. I promise, you will not be disappointed!

fantasy book reviews

"Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

“Kai cleared his throat. Stood straighter. "I assume you are going to the ball?" "I-I don't know. I mean, no. No, I'm sorry, I'm not going to the ball." Kai drew back, confused. "Oh well... but... maybe you would change your mind? Because I am, you know." "The prince." "Not bragging," he said quickly. "Just a fact.”"

"Vanity is a factor, but it is more a question of control. It is easier to trick others into perceiving you as beautiful if you can convince yourself you are beautiful. But mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth.”

Related Reviews
| Heartless | Splintered Series |

Connect with
| Official Site | @Marissa_Meyer | Facebook |
fantasy book reviews

11 comments:

  1. omg same!!! I'm not a sci-fi/ machine person so i wasn't really ready to jump into this series either...But then i also got addicted :P My favorite character is in Book 2! Great review :P
    Kariny @ kariny's boox frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! I haven't made it that far yet. I was kind of putting it off, AGAIN, only because of the new characters! I am definitely going to jump into the remaining books in the series. Thanks for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  2. You loved it! :D

    I liked this one a lot too and then I read Scarlet which I liked even more! I have been buddy reading them though, so we really need to crack on with Cress next! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been slacking on reading the rest of the series! I have a long weekend and it's supposed to rain.. perfect book reading weather! Thanks for stopping by <3

      Delete
  3. OMG I'm currently reading it and I'm so glad you loved it <33 I can't wait to finish and see how I feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh I am so so happy you loved Cinder. This entire series is AMAZING and you will continue to love it, I'm sure. Prince Kai? I sigh for Prince Kai. Seriously I fell in love with him, shamelessly so. I can't wait to see your thoughts of Scarlet.

    Great Review!!!

    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Prince Kai is perfection! I haven't gotten around to the rest of the series yet, but if it's anywhere near as good as Cinder, I will love love love it! Thanks for stopping by <3

      Delete
  5. I read this back in January and felt the same that I should have read it earlier. I am worried that all the complex things happening in the story will eventually get lost on me especially since there are going to be so many more characters later on in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten to the rest of the series yet, but I feel like Miss Meyer's writing is exceptional enough not to let that happen! Good luck, and I sure do hope you tackle the rest of the books (;

      Delete
  6. Looks like I will be reading this very soon. Lol I have had it for a while but kept putting it off because of they whole cyborg thing as well. Lol

    ReplyDelete