Monday, October 13, 2014

The Revenants Series by Amy Plum - 3 Part Review!

*This is a three part review, as I devoured these books so quickly, I couldn't put them down long enough to post an individual review for each one (:

Die for Me
By Amy Plum
The Revenants Series 1
Hardcover: 341 pages
Publication Date: May 10th 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rated:
4.5 out of 5 Stars
| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook

____________________________________________

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.


I was in the mood to read a cheesy love story, one without crazy dramatic ridiculousness. I read the book synopsis, saw 'star-crossed lovers', and went for it. This is not your average paranormal love story at all. First of all, the supernatural creatures are totally original- Revenants that are kind of a mix between zombies and ghosts. I loved this idea, and totally enjoyed learning about the Revenant world. The book was laid out well, and it didn't feel like I was reading a scripted history lesson while learning their story. The pace of the book was also well thought out. It took a while before the supernatural started happening, but it was informative and interesting, instead of slow and boring like a lot of supernatural books. The action was also well-paced, not stuffed into the last fifty pages so that I was constantly flipping, trying to see what happens. I was able to take my time with the ending, and enjoyed it a lot. The setting was wonderful as well- Paris, France. What better place to set a supernatural love story?! And the Revenant world is phenomenal! I loved the originality of the Revenants themselves- the way that they died saving humans, and woke up in their bodies three days later. The way that they went dormant for three days of the month, and especially the way that they were volant- in spirit form while dormant. It was completely original and refreshing to read something new in the supernatural world! The characters were all well developed and complex. Kate is a truly wonderful character that I connected with immediately. The story began with her losing her parents in a devastating car accident and she was in a deep depression. After meeting Vincent, she was able to pull herself out of her depression slowly. Vincent is a phenomenal character- although a bit too perfect of a man for me. He is sensitive, caring, thoughtful, strong, sexy- the perfect specimen of a man, yet a bit too perfect for me. The romance between the two was done well- they took their time and didn't immediate 'fall head over heels' for each other. They weren't instantly ready to die for each other, so it was better than a lot of 'star-crossed lover' stories. My favorite part though were the supporting characters. The entire Revenant family- I fell in love with Jules and his sexy humor, Ambrose and his delicious muscles, Charlotte and her 'Alice-like' energy and enthusiasm, even Gaspard and Jean-Pierre were wonderful, complex characters. To wrap-up the first review, I totally loved this book. It was well written with original supernatural characters, thick, twisted plot-lines, and an amazing story that I cannot wait to continue!


"Well, spit on my empty grave- if it ain't the attack of the Disney princesses!” -Lucian

"Besides the alternate universe offered by a book, the quiet space of a museum was my favorite place to go. My mom said I was an escapist at heart . . . that I preferred imaginary worlds to the real one. It’s true that I’ve always been able to yank myself out of this world and plunge myself into another.” -Kate (This quote is so me, it's scary!)

"I can't promise you an ordinary experience, Kate. I wish I could transform myself into a normal man and be there for you, always, without the trauma that defines my life as "the walking dead." Since that isn't possible, I can only reassure you that I will do everything in my power to make it up to you. To give you more than a normal boyfriend could. I have no idea what that will mean, exactly, but I'm looking forward to finding out. With you.” -Vincent

____________________________________________

Until I Die
By Amy Plum
The Revenants Series 2
Hardcover: 353 pages
Publication Date: May 8th, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Rated:
4 out of 5 Stars
| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook

____________________________________________

Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.


I cannot honestly give this book a rating higher than 4 stars. It was wonderfully written, as was the first, further continuing the intense plot line and complex Revenant world. Until the ending. Holy hell Miss Plum, how can you, in your right mind, willingly end a book that way? I was devastated, heart-broken, and I am beyond glad that I did not have to wait an entire year with the end of this book looming in my mind. Are you kidding me?! I will not give any spoilers, because that's unfair, but it was the worst possible ending to a wonderful book that I was entirely enraptured with. When it happened, I couldn't even continue reading right away. I had to put it down and take a break because it was that devastating. My advice to readers is, do not read the second book without the third one on hand, because you will be upset and most likely pissed at this ending! Other than that, the characters further develop, and I found myself falling in love with each one of them a little bit more with every chapter. The plot line continues to be thick and twisted, and I absolutely did not see the ending coming at all. Or the fact that the traitor was who it ended up being. The new characters introduced instantly fit into the Revenant family. Violette was awkward at first, a pre-teen with a penchant for temper tantrums, yet she was in reality over 500 years old. Arthur was also as old as Violette, with a stiffness and a superiority complex that isolates him from the rest of the group at first. The longer that both of them live in la Maison, they more that they begin to fit in and form friendships with the other members. The readers get to watch their characters develop and progress. I really did enjoy this sequel, save for the ending, and for that, I can only give it 4 stars!


"And I've got THIS," I pulled out the signum and held it up for him to see, "that says I'm kindred. And I've got THIS," I pointed at my head, "that says I'm as smart as you. And I have THIS," I held up my middle finger, "that says go to hell, you immortal bigot." And with that, I spun around and stomped out the door, filing the expression on Arthur's face in a mental folder labeled "Kate's Proudest Moments".” -Kate to Arthur

"A few Paris blocks away I led a completely normal life with my sister & grandparents. And here I was sword fighting with dead guys.” -Kate

"It hadn’t escaped my attention that I preferred to spend time with the undead rather than the living. I tried not to think about what that said about me.” -Kate

"I was whole in and of myself, but better than whole with him.” -Kate

____________________________________________

If I Should Die
By Amy Plum
The Revenants Series 3
Hardcover: 405 pages
Publication Date: May 7th, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Rated:
4.5 out of 5 Stars
| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook

____________________________________________

I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?


The first few chapters of this book was heart-breaking, and I definitely found myself shedding a few tears more than once. I don't want to give too much away, but the twists in this book were a bit more predictable. Miss Plum definitely doled out a few more hints as to the ending and who the 'Champion' would end up being. The story worked itself out perfectly, and I truly enjoyed the final book in this series. It couldn't have ended any better, and I would love to see another book in the series eventually. The Revenants world is a hard one to just put down, and I hope, with all of the work that Miss Plum put into it, that she doesn't just let it drop completely. A follow up series from any of the characters would be wonderful, as I found myself connected to each and every one of them. I know that there is a novella from Jule's POV called Die For Her that describes how and why he fell in love with his best friend's girlfriend. There is also another book set to release from Harper Collins in February 2015 from Amy Plum called Die Once More, but there is no other information on the release or what it is about. I am seriously hoping that it is the beginning of a spin-off series about the Revenant world! Other than that, this series is completely recommended by yours truly. It was beautiful, wonderfully written- with thick and twisted plot lines, complex characters, and well thought out back stories. If you are a fan of anything paranormal, or just need a new recommendation, read this series! You will not regret it, I promise!


"Kate, I’ll say it like this. Vincent is my best friend. There’s not a person in this world I’m closer to. But for the past year, I have betrayed him in my heart every single day because I want for myself what he loves the very most.” -Jules

"I’m being given my heart’s desire, and I just don’t know what to do with it. I’m almost afraid to believe it’s true, in case someone shakes me and tells me I’m dreaming.”“It’s not a dream. I’m here with you,” I say. “For what looks like a really long time.” -Vincent

"Don’t you see Kate? I can’t be yours in any kind of real way. But what I can promise you is that I will always be here for you, watching out for you, making sure you are safe. And happy.” -Victor

"Life changes so quickly. Not long ago I was mourning the death of my parents and wondering if I could make it through another day. Now I have been handed eternity. And not on a silver platter, either, but down a path lined with pain and bloodshed. But I will walk it with my kindred. With this boy I love. Together we will do something worthy and good. We will give our lives for others. Over and over again. I don't have answers to all the questions that lie before me. But Vincent and I have time to figure them out. All the time in the world.”

Connect with Amy Plum:
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |

Other series you may enjoy:
| Premonition Series | Sweet Trilogy | Guardian Trilogy |

2 comments:

  1. Ooh it sounds like you enjoyed every single one of these books! I have added the first to my TBR list because they sound SO GOOD. And I mean, look at that cover! If that's not one you can stare at all day, I don't know what is xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cover is phenomenal! The only complaint I have is the ending to the second book. A little advice if you do read this series.. do not, under any circumstances, read the second book without having the third one on hand. The ending is THAT awful! haha (:

      Delete