Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Shadows - Rephaim Book 1 by Paula Weston

paranormal book reviews
paranormal book reviews
Gaby is an 18 year old backpacker who settles in a quiet tourist town on the beach with her best friend, Maggie. Only a year prior, she watched her twin brother- Jude die in a horrific car accident that should have killed her too. Now, she is running from the memories, trying to escape the guilt and pain that she feels constantly. It doesn't help that every night, she dreams of killing demons and hellions with a mystery man that she has never met. Until he shows up in her tiny town, and blows Gaby's world apart. Rafa looks exactly like the man she has dubbed Matt in her hellish dreams, but she has never met him before. Or has she? Rafa claims that he was her brother's best friend for years, that he even knows Gaby. Has the accident erased all of her memories, or is it something more sinister? She is forced to accept that everything she thought she knew about herself is only a shadow of what she really is. Her nightmares are most likely her reality that she has been running from. Is she part of an ancient race of angel/human hybrids, or is she a demon like the ones in her nightmares?

paranormal, urban fantasy, book reviews
I started reading this book at 3am, and swore to myself that I would only read one chapter. Yeah, right. I noticed the sun peaking over the horizon, and realized that I was hooked. This book was wonderful, I loved every minute. The twists and turns kept me guessing constantly. Rafa is my new book boyfriend for sure. He is sexy, dangerous, deadly, and yet so gentle with Gaby and the craziness that she has going on. Gaby isn't the typical 'save the world heroine' and for that, I am thankful. The girl that ultimately excels in everything gets boring after reading so many books with the same character. Gaby has no idea what she is doing and what's going on throughout the entire book; she has the ability to flow with the changes and not overly whine about her life, which is another plus. I ultimately want to trust Jason, but I don't think he is who he says he is. The book hints at Gaby and Rafa previously hating each other, and I am secretly hoping Gaby never gets her memories back. Their connection is filled with sexual tension, constant bickering, and just plain 'yum' that I would be devastated if she truly hated him. This book leaves so many questions about Gaby's role in the Rephaim, where she stands with Rafa, whether Jason can be trusted, and if Jude really did die. I cannot wait to read the second one, and will probably start as soon as I write this review. How much sleep does one really need when there are so many good books in the world...?!

paranormal, urban fantasy, book reviews

"We're quiet for a moment. And then: 'Why did you call me Matt?' 'It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now that I know you, I realise I should have called that character Dick.' He laughs, and then the couch shakes. 'Honestly, Gabe, I forgot you could be this much fun."
-Rafa by Paula Weston

"I hear you've been with every Rephaite in a skirt.' Crap. Where did that come from? 'Who told you that?' HIs smile shifts into something less amused. 'Daniel. Who else? The prick.' Is he a liar?' Rafa leans against the pale wall. 'I haven't been with everyone.' 'What about Taya?' 'Hell, no. I'm no monk, but I have standards.' I wonder what else Daniel was wrong about. 'What about me?' Rafa's teasing smile doesn't quite reach his eyes. 'You had standards too."
Rafa & Gaby by Paula Weston

Book reviews relating to this one: Haze - Rephaim Book 2
Connect with Paula Weston: Paula-Weston.com; Twitter; Goodreads; Amazon; Barnes & Nobles

Tags: angel book, book reviews, paranormal, urban fantasy, angels, demons, nephilim, heaven, ya, young adult, fantasy, book reviews, series

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this sounds great, although the plot does remind me a bit of the one for "Angelfire", by Courtney Allison Moulton. I'd still like to read this one, though, because if this book kept you all night, it must be FREAKING GOOD.

    Thanks for the very thoughtful, detailed review!! And also, I noticed you're following my blog now! Thanks for that, and the nice comment on my SCS post! I'm now following you back!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maria.. "Angelfire" is buried in my TBR pile. Glad to hear I'll probably like that one too! It really is a good series so far, the end to the second one was horrible, but there are two more in the series. Thanks for the follow, your blog has wonderfully detailed reviews that I will be checking out often now that I found you. :)

    ReplyDelete