Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Blood of Eden Series by Julie Kagawa

paranormal book reviews
paranormal book reviews
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for… again.

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.

paranormal book reviews
Another vampire series? Julie Kagawa laughs in the face of Twilight with this wonderfully written story. Blood of Eden is one of the best written worlds that I have ever read. Her version of vampires are dark and dangerous, as they should be. The world after a vicious plague has taken more than 60% of the population is the perfect, post apocalyptic world. Humans are greedy and selfish, as is our protagonist- Allie. She is jaded from years of starvation, of being the prey to the vampire rulers of her city. Along comes Kanin, a rare selfless vampire who turns her world on its head. Allie is a character that I could instantly relate with. Real world issues, whether they are post apocalyptic or not, are raging within her constantly. Yet she has the strength to pull herself out of her own darkness and be able to hope for a better outcome, a better world. It is her hope that survives throughout this wonderful story of war, bloodshed, insane vampires and humans alike, and, believe it or not, love. Amazing story Julie Kagawa, I cannot believe this series sat on my TBR shelf for so long! For the urban fantasy junkies out there that see "vampire series" and cringe, this one is definitely for you. (:
paranormal book reviews

"The mighty hunter,” I quipped as we snuck out the backdoor, escaping into the yard. “He can take down vicious rabids and rampaging boars, but one old lady can make him flee in terror.” “One scary old lady,” he corrected me, looking relieved to be out of the house. “You didn’t hear what she told me when I got up — you’re so cute I could put you in a pie. Tell me that’s not the creepiest thing you’ve ever heard.” His voice climbed a few octaves, turning shrill and breathy. “Today for dessert, we have apple pie, blueberry pie and Ezekiel pie.” -Julie Kagawa

“You don't dwell on what you've lost, you just move on." -Allison

Connect with Julie Kagawa: JulieKagawa.com; Twitter; Goodreads

Tags: vampire series, paranormal, urban fantasy, dystopian, julie kagawa, ya, na, teen.

7 comments:

  1. "laughs in the face of Twilight" -- I LOL'd at that, hahaha! Great review! And I love that it's a review of the entire series. I really love that FOREVER SONG cover, too. So beautiful! I've only read a few of her Iron Fae books, but I think I need to pick this series up, too. :) Her faery books were awesome!

    Jules @ The Book of Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Thank you! Julie Kagawa is an amazing writer, the worlds she creates are so real and deadly. And I totally agree with you on the cover for Forever Song. I would probably buy the book from the cover alone! Thank you so much for your comment, and definitely pick this series up if you like the dystopian genre at all. (:

      Delete
  2. I have gotten like 60% of the way through The Immortal Rules and then I put it down. Seems like I need to finish reading! Great review, thank you for this haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book was kind of slow for me, but the second and third definitely made up for it! It truly was a wonderful story, and I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. This book makes me nervous. I wasn't sure I wanted to pick up The Immortal Rules, but you've definitely convinced me to. Finally a book about dangerous vampires rather than cute ones. Great review!
    Oh and I tagged you in the Book Gif Tag: http://metaphoricalmusings.blogspot.com/2014/09/book-gif-tag-tagged-by-thisgirlreadsalot.html#gpluscomments

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read these books! I have the first one on my TBR shelf, and yes, I do believe mine have been sitting there for too long as well! I hope I can get to it. Although I did like Twilight, maybe this will be something I can enjoy a lot too :)

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/10/dying-for-living-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blood of Eden was nothing like Twilight.. although both were about vampires. Julie Kagawa made vampires the predators that they were meant to be.. and she did it beautifully. I really hope you get a chance to read this series, it was definitely one of my favorites I've read this year! I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you do (:

      Delete