Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Book Review: The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson

The Heart of Betrayal
By Mary E. Pearson
The Remnant Chronicles #2
Hardcover: 470 pages
Publication Date: July 7, 2015
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Rated: ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯
5 out of 5 Stars
| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |
Related Reviews:
| Kiss of Deception (#1) | Snow Like Ashes |
Categories: Fantasy, Magic, Young Adult


Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape. Desperate to save her life, Lia's erstwhile assassin, Kaden, has told the Vendan Komizar that she has the gift, and the Komizar's interest in Lia is greater than anyone could have foreseen.

Meanwhile, nothing is straightforward: there's Rafe, who lied to Lia, but has sacrificed his freedom to protect her; Kaden, who meant to assassinate her but has now saved her life; and the Vendans, whom Lia always believed to be barbarians. Now that she lives amongst them, however, she realizes that may be far from the truth. Wrestling with her upbringing, her gift, and her sense of self, Lia must make powerful choices that will affect her country... and her own destiny.

I cannot believe that Miss Pearson would willingly end the second book the way that she did. Really?! I am stunned and impatient and really excited for the third book.. already. Sigh. Only a year wait..

I gave in and went back to reread the first book before I started this one. I do remember what happens in the first book, but I have had countless textbook pages and lyrical poems shoved into my head since then, I wanted to be able to follow along perfectly. This second book in the series begins right where the first left off. Lia has been kidnapped and taken to the rival country of Venda. Rafe follows to rescue her, but ends up getting sort of imprisoned as well. Kaden, the traitor asshole Vendan assassin only wants her to survive the Komizar's wrath. He helps her as often as he can, but with his whole "Vendan Pride" outlook, it is oft rare in this struggling kingdom. Far from her home and wary of everyone, Lia finds herself falling in love with these poor citizens. Connecting with them, telling them stories and singing songs, causing a fervor among the population that her arrival has been prophesied. Just who exactly is Lia, and what is her connection to this starving land?

I swear Miss Pearson, if Lia falls in love with Kaden, I will be fully upset and will absolutely make my complaints heard. He is a douche canoe. The complete Webster's definition of such, actually. It seemed to me at the finish of this sequel, that was where the author was heading. And I cannot begin to express my displeasure. Sigh.

I found myself more intrigued about the prophecy in this book. It is well thought out, and holds the ability for many more future twists and turns. She is learning to use her gift to her advantage. I do so much love the author for her world building skills. The quaint village of Venda is rather well written, as are the characters in this sequel. I absolutely recommend this series to every dystopian, fantasy, whatever fan out there. :)

"But you’re everything I want. Remember that. I love you, Lia. Not a title. And not because a piece of paper says I should. Because I do.” -Rafe to Lia

"I walked up to Griz and poked him in the chest. "Let me make this perfectly clear to you. Though some might seek to make it appear otherwise, I am not a bride to be bartered away to another kingdom, not a prize of war, not a mouthpiece for your Komizar. I am not a chip in a card game to be mindlessly tossed into the center of the pot, nor one to be kept in the tight fist of a greedy opponent. I am a player seated at the table alongside everyone else, and from this day forward, I will play my own hand as I see fit. Do you understand me? Because the consequences could be ugly if someone thought otherwise.”

"There are no rules in survival."

Related Reviews:
| Kiss of Deception (#1) | Snow Like Ashes |

Connect with Mary Pearson
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |

12 comments:

  1. Another cliffhanger? This is both good and bad news, I have my copy sat in front begging me to read it but I hate cliffhangers.. although I do love getting excited for the release date! I'm so glad you loved this book but the best has to be that Kaden was a 'douche-canoe' haha, I was worried that she would make us fall in love with him and then I would have to choose!! RAFE FOREVER <3
    Great review!
    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the worst cliffhanger imaginable dammit! I do hope you enjoy it girl, I will be checking for your review when you do. :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read this book! I've read the first book, and I loved it. I'm not quite sure which team I'm on yet, as I have yet to see more of Kadan, but from the looks of it, I think Rafe is the way to go :) Great review!

    ~Erika @ Books, Stars, Writing. And Everything In Between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! I look forward to reading your review Erika :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! This book sounds like an excellent read.

    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually never read this series! Judging by how much you love it, maybe I should rethink that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss. It really is worth the read Cynthia!

      Delete
  5. Girl Kaden is my boo! I would be so upset if she ends up with the prince. Ew lol. Once I get all of my arcs out of the way, I'm free to sit down and pick this baby up. I absolutely loved The Kiss Of Deception, the characters were so well crafted, the world-building was beyond amazing, and to hear the sequel is just as strong as the first is so refreshing lol. I'm in the need of something good, so I can't wait until I dive into this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ew. Nooo. Rafe is a total jerk! I guess I'm a prince kinda girl. haha After your last couple of choices that ended up being DNFes.. you def deserve this one. It was fantastic :)

      Delete
  6. If book one had such a cliffhanger I can't imagine what kind of cliffhanger book 2 has! Luckily my copy came in from the library just in time! :)

    I was Team Kaden in Book 1 but "douche canoe" certainly amuses me!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amber, happy to make you laugh! I hope you've had time to get into this one.. it is so worth it :)

      Delete