Friday, November 7, 2014

Friday Favorites Weekly Meme - 11/7


Friday Favorites is a weekly meme hosted by the beautiful Miss Natalie over at The Book Lover's Life. This is my first time posting this meme! My choice for this week's favorite is.. drum roll please!

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Yes, all seven of the main books are included! Maybe I'm cheating just a bit, but hey, I'm new at this! There is no way I can only pick one single book out of this incredible series to like more than the others. They are all phenomenal, hands down!

Atticus O'Sullivan is the very last Druid alive, over 2000 years old with a laundry list of enemies that just happen to be Gods or Goddesses. Regardless of their insane power, Atticus proves himself able to outwit these enemies at every turn! From the Tuatha de Danann to the Greek and Roman gods, even Jesus makes an appearance in these books. I love how all of the pantheons are well researched and represented, not just one. The reader gets to experience life on the run with Atticus, as he masters the art of pissing off random Gods on a daily basis. I found myself reading these books with a cheesy grin on my face most of the time, and I laughed out loud more times than I can remember. They were hilarious to say the least. Along with the drama, adventure, and fighting- Mr. Hearne is adept at throwing in sarcastic humor all throughout the series! I experienced every emotion possible along with Atticus, and I connected with his character immediately. He also has an Irish Wolfhound that is his companion at all times. His name is Oberon and the Druid taught the dog how to mind speak with him. The dog is ridiculously funny, and weirdly enough, I think he was my favorite character. A dog as a favorite character is really odd, but you folks will totally get it when you read them! The world building is pretty standard, as it is set in modern times. The story takes place in a number of different locations around the globe, but begins in the deserts of the southwest United States. After almost 2100 years, Atticus has settled down and started his own occult bookstore. He is able to draw power from the Earth itself, and wields a magickal sword. He looks just like your every day 20-something Irish guy with sexy Celtic tattoos covering his body. With the help of some powerful friends, Atticus is able to survive the wrath of every pantheon known to man. The only thing missing throughout this series is romance. For the first three and a half books, there is none. Zero! For it to still be one of my favorite series without the romance, that is saying a lot! I recommend this book to everyone, everywhere! Just read it. It is well researched, well written, adventurous and exciting, dramatic and heart stopping; not to mention funny as hell!

A few of my favorite quotes from the series

"“Wooo!’ he said, slamming his shot glass down and coughing a bit. ‘That’s good stuff.’ I agreed heartily. ‘Shall we do another one?’ I asked. ‘Oh no,’ Jesus said quietly, his eyes growing round. ‘This is one of those situations where I have to stop and ask myself, what would I do?”" ― Kevin Hearne, Hammered

"“I have been around long enough to discount most superstitions for what they are: I was around when many of them began to take root, after all. But one superstition to which I happen to subscribe is that bad juju comes in threes. The saying in my time was, "Storm clouds are thrice cursed," but I can't talk like that and expect people to believe I'm a twenty-one year-old American. I have to say things like, "Shit happens, man.”" ― Kevin Hearne, Hounded

"“My neighbor raised a shaking index finger to point at the saguaro. "That moving cactus...and the big bug...and you, you spooky bastard. What are you? I stuffed my hands in my pockets and grinned winningly at him. "Why, I'm the Antichrist, of course.”" ― Kevin Hearne, Hexed

"“Now go and stake some vamps. Especially the sparkly emo ones.”" ― Kevin Hearne, Hammered

_____________________________________________________________
Iron Druid Chronicles Reading List (Goodreads Link)
| Book 1: Hounded | Book 2: Hexed | Book 3: Hammered | Book 4: Tricked |
| Book 5: Trapped | Book 6: Hunted | Book 7: Shattered |

Related Reviews
Iron Druid Chronicles Review

Connect with Kevin Hearne
| Goodreads | Twitter | Official Site | Facebook | Google+ |

Purchase Links
| Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Half.com |

2 comments:

  1. Ok this is weird, I just posted a comment and it's not showing so in case you get a double-comment, blame it on Google!

    I like how you were able to sort of combine all seven books in one concise review. I know I would have probably rambled my fingers and the reader's eyes off!
    I like how the dog was central in the novels, and how it was your favourite character; I can relate to that. I know I can end up liking the dog over the protagonist.

    Loved the quotes, and also how you use one quote per book.

    What is the meme thing? How does it differ from a regular review?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already reviewed the Iron Druid Chronicles. The meme is just bringing back one of your all time favorite series for a mini review! It's called Favorites Friday and basically, every week, you're showcasing one of your favorite series to your readers!

    I've never done it before, but it's been so long since I've reviewed this series, I thought I would showcase it to all of my new readers that may not have seen my review way back when (:
    Thanks for stopping by Nada! I hope you check this series out, because it really is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete