Monday, October 27, 2014

Broken Promise by Jen Wylie - The Broken Ones 3

Broken Promise
By Jen Wylie
The Broken Ones Series 3
Ebook: 286 pages
Publication Date: October 7, 2014
Publisher: Untold Press
Rated:
4.5 out of 5 Stars
| Goodreads | Amazon | IndieBound |
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |
Related Reviews: Broken Aro; Broken Prince
Categories: YA, Urban Fantasy, Faerie, New Release

____________________________________________

After delivering the Elven prince to his homeland, they decide to ride out the winter in the city of Westport before starting their quest to heal the Fey. Like most things in Aro’s life, nothing goes according to plan.

As Kei struggles with the prophecy bound within him, his sanity begins to unravel. A prophecy and a promise are broken, and forgotten threats resurface with dire consequences. The Dragos is watching and the Were king is displeased with the disregard of Were law. Aro scrambles as yet another threat emerges. The Elves, displeased with their prince, exploit his only weakness…her.

Aro is forced to find a new ally, a cold-hearted, ruthless pirate named Roan. He is more than he seems and Aro must learn who she can trust, or it will cost more than just her life. She has grown stronger, but is it enough to save herself, her family, and the Elf she loves?


Ugh, Miss Wylie, that rotting elf! Why?! His character can be such a jackass, seriously. This story continues right after Broken Prince leaves off. They have just returned Prince to his home, after his long over-due, heart stopping kiss with Arowyn. She demanded that he not kiss her again until he knew that he loved her, and dammit if that jerk didn't kiss her before he left her for.. basically forever. The remainder of the pack travel on without Prince to the home of Rhee-En and his weres. There, Rhee-En informs her that the King of all the Weres has discovered that she created a pack using Were magic that he did not approve, especially because she is not a Were. The king is angry, and Aro doesn't know if he will kill her. Just another issue to add to Aro's ever-growing list of enemies.

The remaining members of Aro's 'pack' settle in the city of Westport for the winter, where they will hopefully be safe. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Through multiple kidnappings, murder attempts, and new friends that cannot be trusted- Aro wants nothing more than Prince at her side and to begin with the prophecy. Healing the Fae has become her top priority, and she will do it alone if she has to. Her bonded Fae- Kei really isn't in this book all that much, and I can't reveal the reason without giving away too many spoilers. I can say that his visions of the prophecy are becoming increasingly stronger, and it has begun to drive him insane. The words of the fated prophecy are all that he can see, night and day, and he becomes irate and distant. Aro's character continues to amaze me, with the amount of heartbreak and stress that she is under every day- the fact that she is able to remain strong and function is testimony to her strength of heart and mind! I fully respect and admire her character. Bo and Garen are also wonderfully written characters- both of them are always there whenever Aro needs them. They are loyal friends that are always there when needed, yet know when to stand down when Aro's strength can handle a situation.

With new characters being introduced throughout this novel, the reader really has no idea who to trust. Enemies sprout from the woodwork, so to speak, and friends turn to enemies in a heartbeat. The plot line is thick and twisted, well thought out and deliciously dark! I loved every minute of it. The only reason I cannot rightfully give it a full 5 stars is because of Prince. Damn him. I am really beginning to not like him, sadly, and I am beyond upset that he still hasn't pulled his elf head out of his ass yet! It is beyond frustrating Miss Wylie! And now, when the group is getting ready to go heal the Fae, he is still nowhere to be found. Hiding in his castle, afraid of his parents?! Are you kidding me?! Ugh! Ok, I'm done ranting this time, really! All in all, The Broken Ones series is increasingly becoming one of my favorites, and I highly recommend it to everyone! Urban fantasy junkies, fae obsessed readers, and especially fans of dystopian novels- as this reminds me a lot of a dystopian style world; read this series! You will not be disappointed! (:


"He pulled her off to the side of the road and turned her to face him. Her fingers trembled in his hand and she pulled away. "I'm fine." "You're not." Closing her eyes, she took a slow breath. Too many men. Scruffy and dirty from a long day's work, they reminded her of other men, the ones who had cornered her and beat her and almost.... "Aro," Kei said softly. "I'm fine," she whispered hoarsely. She wanted to be. She tried to be. It hadn't been so bad the last city they'd been in, but then, she'd had Prince, Bo, and Cain with her, too. She didn't now, and that brought a different kind of pain. Kei took her face in his hands. "Look at me." She did and struggled to stay strong. "We will always protect you." "I know." He shushed her. "But you don't need it."" -Kei & Aro

"Staring up into her darkness, she sucked in a deep breath, trying to push away her growing fear for Kei. "Do you believe in them? The prophecies?" "There is always truth in prophecy. Yet often, you don't know what that truth is until afterward." -Garen & Aro

"One moment, Kei stood before her, the next, enormous talons encircled him. Wind sent her flying backward as Damon launched himself into the air. Kei was gone, jerked up into the sky as the dragon's powerful wing strokes buffeted her to the ground. "Kei!" She scrambled to her feet. Let him go! Damon's amused laugh filled her mind. Do you really want me to? You were warned, Arowyn. You did not listen, and now you face the consequences. You had your chance and wasted it. Now it is my turn. I will have the prophecy." -Damon & Aro

"Glancing down, every thought left her as she stared. Lips trembling, heart suddenly pounding in her chest, she raised her hands. A scream erupted out of her as she scrambled back until she smashed into the wall. Shaking fingers fumbled and slipped as she tried to push the bands of metal off her wrists. The chain between them rattled, but she barely heard it over her frantic screams. Her body shaking uncontrollably, no amount of pushing or pulling or tearing would remove the horrible things from her. This wasn't happening. She wasn't in chains. She wasn't! Not again. Not again." -Aro

Related Reviews
Broken Aro; Broken Prince

Connect with Jen Wylie
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |

6 comments:

  1. I haven't ever read a book from this genre before - and it looks like I'm missing out! This book seems really interesting. Great blog by the way! Love your layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Candace! You haven't read any urban fantasy before, at all..?! Urban fantasy usually has all the drama of typical books; first love, drama with friends and family- but then you get the added excitement and drama of a paranormal aspect as well. I have a hard time reading just a normal book these days.. without the fantasy aspect thrown in there. It makes the book, in my opinion, more exciting and I am less willing to put it down! Especially books about the Fae. My grandparents were Celtic pagan, and raised me to believe in Faeries, so every time I read a book from that genre, it brings me back to my childhood (: I definitely recommend you check out an urban fantasy series sometime. If you're just starting out.. try The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne! They are exciting, dramatic, and funny as hell. Good luck Candace, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts if you do take my advice!! (:

      Delete
  2. Oh I can sense your frustration with the Prince quite perfectly. Lol! But I see where you're coming from, and I've definitely had my share of frustrating boys/men/characters in my short reading life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha This is the third book, and he is obviously completely in love with her, yet he won't let himself feel it! It's sooo frustrating! I know a lot of books have ridiculously frustrating male characters, but this one just gets under my skin for some reason! Thank you for your comment (:

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this series before but I'm glad you enjoyed it overall :) I'll be sure to check this out!

    New GFC follower :)

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Olivia, thanks for the comment and the follow (:
      If you enjoy the dystopian genre at all, this series is definitely a must read! I hope you check it out, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts if you do!

      Delete