Monday, October 27, 2014

Betrayals of Spring by L.P. Dover - Forever Fae 2

Betrayals of Spring
By L.P. Dover
Forever Fae Series 2
Ebook: 300 pages
Publication Date: February 13, 2013
Publisher: Independant
Rated:
4 out of 5 Stars
| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |
Related Reviews: Forever Fae 1
Category: New Adult, Faerie, Urban Fantasy

____________________________________________

The smell of rain vastly approaches as we are lying on the ground in a sea of flowers. They surround our bodies while the fresh Spring wind caresses our skin with its soft, gentle touch. Combined as one, we stare into each other’s eyes as we bask in the pleasure of our love and OUR land.

The Land of the Fae has flourished bringing a new beginning and a new court, the Fall Court. Five years have passed since then along with the dreaded day that Meliantha, Summer Court Princess and one of the powerful Four, was betrayed and broken-hearted by the sexy and alluring Winter Prince, Kalen. Spurned by the man she loves, Meliantha has turned and fallen into the arms of the fierce and handsome warrior, Finn, who understands she can never love him, but wants more than anything to mend her broken heart. The Winter Solstice Ball is approaching, meaning Meliantha will have to face the Winter Prince and make it out of there with her heart intact. But what does she do when Prince Kalen acts as if nothing ever happened and seems more in love with her than ever before?

The dark sorcerer has planned his twisted game of lies and deceit well, and has enjoyed making himself a player without anyone’s knowledge. The game is almost over and the players are exactly where they are needed to be. Will Meliantha figure out his twisted game and save all the players? Or will the dark sorcerer once again obtain the power of the Four and take everything away from her…..even her one true love?


*This book could be read as part of a series, or as a stand-alone. The story sort of starts with Forever Fae. Meliantha is Calista's younger sister, and Kalen is Ryder's younger brother. They began to feel a connection in the first one, but they were not main characters and their story really didn't go anywhere in the first one. The second one begins with Meliantha's memory of Kalen coming to her after the wedding, and basically rejecting her. Unfortunately, it was not the real Kalen, but the dark sorcerer playing games with them. She didn't talk to Kalen for almost five years after he supposedly rejected her, but her heart was always drawn to him, as was Kalen's heart drawn to her. This story, like the first, is told with three different view points; Meliantha's, Kalen's, and the dark sorcerer's. It flows better than the first one with the separate view points, and I enjoyed reading events from both Meliantha's and Kalen's POV. Over the five years that Kalen rejected her love, the princess has changed. She has become stronger both emotionally and physically. She has begun training to fight with her guardian and the soldiers of the Summer Court. She also has closed her heart off from everyone, including the man she has been seeing for a few years, Finn. He knows that someday, she will meet the man that the prophecy claims will steal her heart, and he has accepted that Meliantha is not his. When Meliantha has to go to the Winter Court for a celebration, she knows that she will see Kalen again. Is she strong enough to resist the connection she feels towards him, or will fate prove to be too strong an enemy to fight?

This story was wonderful. Well-written, with characters that the reader can't help feeling a connection to. Meliantha is a strong protagonist, both physically and emotionally- unless it comes to Kalen. He is her weakness in every way. When she finds out it wasn't him that rejected her, the frozen walls around her heart crumble, and she finally opens herself up to him. But is it too late? The evil sorcerer already has his plan in place, and it will take every drop of magic inside both of them to stop his plan from coming to fruition. Kalen is also an amazing character- he is sexy and mysterious, yet heartbroken over the events with Meliantha. But when he sees her, everything melts away. The past doesn't matter, only her in this moment. And when they come together, finally, the prophecy is sealed and they both see their future. They will form the 'Spring Court' together, her as Queen and Kalen ruling as the King. Their own court will be powerful and will aide in the capture of the dark sorcerer. But without this court, the evil will win and nothing will be able to stop him from ruling Faerie. Can Kalen and Meliantha fight the evil to be together, or will the dark sorcerer win the game this round?


"I can't believe how stupid I was thinking that Kalen, the prince of heartbreak, would actually settle down with me and be the one the prophecy had foretold would be mine. I thrust the necklace out to him. "Take it back! I don't want it! I thought you were different... that you actually cared," I scream. Kalen rushes over and pulls me into his arms. I stand motionless as he leans down to place his cold, Winter lips onto my forehead. The searing pain of his frozen kiss has branded me a fool. I want him gone and out of my life. "I did care, my sweet princess, but I can see now that it was a wasted effort. Besides, you're a little too timid for my tastes. I'm sorry it has to be this way, but it's a good thing we found out now before things were taken further." He reaches down and touches the necklace in my hand. "Keep the necklace. It's the least I can do for the heartache I have caused. You need to forget about me, Meliantha."" -The dark sorcerer posing as Kalen

"Being so close to Meliantha is going to kill me. I felt the connection we had years ago and I thought she did, too, but she denied me when I went to visit her. I had planned to tell her how I felt and to possibly see if I was the one to complete her, but the door was slammed in my face. I am hoping to get the chance to talk to her tonight to see what I did wrong. Being rejected by her devastated me. She's probably not going to want anything to do with me now, once she finds out I am to marry another." -Kalen

"This can't be happening, I scream at myself. How can I be feeling this connection to Kalen after everything that's happened and after everything he's put me through? I can see Kalen's hands clench when Finn possessively wraps his arm around me. I kept repeating to myself over and over that I can do this and keep my distance; however, some strong force is urging me to look up. I tell myself not to look at him, but my eyes have a mind of their own and betray me. They search for his eyes and find them staring back intently at me. The pull to him is so strong, it makes me weak in the knees. I thought hearing his voice earlier was a shock to my system, but nothing compares to this. My heart flutters at the sight of him, and I grab my chest hoping it'll stop. I don't want to feel this way for the man that broke my heart. I need to feel the anger." -Meliantha

Related Reviews
Forever Fae 1

Connect with L.P. Dover
| Official Site | Twitter | Facebook |

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. I, myself doesn't really read faerie books but I can make exceptions to well written ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything Fae (: Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like L.P. Dover has created a very multifaceted world and characters.

    In my opinion telling a story from multiple points of view usually strengthens a work as it usually adds depth to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Brian. The difficult part is making the characters sound different.. a lot of authors have a tough time with that one. It's impossible to have a point of view told from a male and female character and for them both to sound and think the same. I'm sure it takes a lot of work to get their differing personalities to shine through the words!

      Delete