Thursday, August 28, 2014

Faelorehn - The Otherworlds book 1 by Jenna Johnson

paranormal book reviews
paranormal book reviews
I never heard him come after me and even as I climbed the slope and stumbled onto our shaded back lawn, I didn’t look back. It was like the day the gnomes chased me all over again, but this time I was not escaping some horrible little creatures, I was fleeing from an incredibly good-looking guy who could very well understand me completely. I was either saving myself from that serial killer I always imagined lived down in the swamp, or I had finally gone over the deep end . . .

Meghan Elam has been strange her entire life: her eyes have this odd habit of changing color and she sees and hears things no one else does. When the visions and voices in her head start to get worse, she is convinced that her parents will want to drag her off to another psychiatrist. That is, until the mysterious Cade MacRoich shows up out of nowhere with an explanation of his own. Cade brings her news of another realm where goblins and gnomes are the norm, a place where whispering spirits exist in the very earth, and a world where Meghan just might find the answers she has always sought. But at what cost?

paranormal book reviews
Meh. I really liked the concept of this book, and the world building was well done. I just never connected with any of the characters. Meghan, the protagonist, was completely obnoxious. She constantly asked herself ridiculous questions, regardless of the situation at hand: why, who, what, etc. It was fine at first, I enjoy to hear what's going on in a character's head, but it proceeded to irritate the hell out of me the more frequent it became. The Celtic research was well done; having been raised in a pagan family with a rich Celtic background, I was impressed that the author was accurate with the legends. The plot line was pretty slow though; the entire book, the reader is basically waiting around for Cade to come back. Following Meghan to and from school, out with her friends; it was like a really boring diary! There was little humor, which maybe would have helped break up the monotony a bit. I had high hopes for this series, especially with my fae obsession, but I was sadly let down. Maybe the next book in the series will be better, but it will take a lot to get me to continue reading this series.

paranormal book reviews

"If I were an ordinary high school girl and if he were an ordinary high school boy, I would be hoping for some romantic liaison on his part right then. But neither of us was ordinary and he was definitely not a high school boy." - Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

Connect with Jenna Johnson: JennaElizbethJohnson.com; Twitter; Goodreads
Tags: Fae, faerie, faery, otherworld, urban fantasy, series, paranormal, goblins, gnomes, spirit animals

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I was nominated for the Liebster award by Talina and then nominated you xD Pease don't feel obligated to do another post ;) but if you're interested, check it out here: http://theyabookthief.blogspot.com/2014/08/liebster-awards.html

    Thanks for sharing the review! Sorry that you didn't like the book as much as you hoped to :/ I haven't read many books with Celtic folklore, though, I may want to pick this up because of that (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are interested in a book that has a lot of Celtic folklore, maybe try the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. I found myself laughing with tears rolling down my face more than once reading these books. And they are also very historically accurate, as far as Celtic mythology goes (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I don't connect with the characters, I don't enjoy the book as much I would like it either. Celtic folklore is an interesting thing so I will check out the Iron Druid Chronicles instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will not be disappointed, I promise! They talk a lot of the Tuatha de Danann, which is like the ruling class of gods and goddesses in Celtic folklore. They were once faerie until the humans began to worship them, thereby creating the gods that rule the Celtic pantheon. The other pantheons are thrown in there as well throughout the book, the Norse, Roman, and Greek gods all make an appearance. It's really a well written, adventurous, hilarious urban fantasy series that I couldn't put down! Let me know if you read it, what you thought of it (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, it's too bad this book did not live up to your expectations. I would have been mad, too, if I had been reading a book with Celtic mythology in it, and it let me down. I definitely have to try the Iron Druid Chronicles. I wasn't raised pagan, but do have a fascination for Celtic mythology. I think I have Celtic ancestors!

    Thanks for your thoughts!! : )

    ReplyDelete