Monday, March 6, 2017

Book Review: The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson

The Beauty of Darkness
By Mary E. Pearson
Series: The Remnant Chronicles #3
Hardcover: 679 pages
Publication Date: August 2, 2016
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ( 5 out of 5 Stars )

| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | @MaryPearson | Blog |
Related Reviews: | Kiss of Deception | Heart of Betrayal |
Categories: Fantasy, High Fantasy, Magick


Lia has survived Venda—but so has a great evil bent on the destruction of Morrighan. And only Lia can stop it.

With war on the horizon, Lia has no choice but to assume her role as First Daughter, as soldier—as leader. While she struggles to reach Morrighan and warn them, she finds herself at cross-purposes with Rafe and suspicious of Kaden, who has hunted her down.

In this conclusion to the Remnant Chronicles trilogy, traitors must be rooted out, sacrifices must be made, and impossible odds must be overcome as the future of every kingdom hangs in the balance.

Well, damn Miss Pearson. I find myself at a loss for words. A bit of a warning; this review is going to be scattered and messy, and will include spoilers from the previous books in the series.

Sigh. The last book ended with Lia getting shot with arrows and falling into the river they were trying to escape across. Thankfully, the third book begins with the reveal that yes, Lia is still alive, and they have made it out of harm's way. For the moment. Kaden, after fighting on her side against the komizar, trails after them, destroying the only working bridge to get out of Venda. The book follows their journey through the Cam Lanteaux to safety; through the Dalbreck outpost to Morrighan and Dalbreck. Lia knows that the Vendan army is preparing to march on the cities, and their survival depends on her ability to return to her home and convince the Morrighese government that barbarians have assembled a massive army. Easier said than done. She has become the most wanted criminal in the country, and traitors have infiltrated the king's cabinet. Traitors that are determined to kill Lia and anyone that stands in the way of the approaching army.

There were more times than I can count that I just wanted to throw this book across the room.

Lia is recklessly brave, stubbornly strong. A wonderfully written female protagonist. I fell in love with her even more throughout her journey, through the pain and heartache, through her strong will and love for her people. But most of all, for her ability to sacrifice everything that she ever wanted for the unknown. For hope. For a chance at a better life for everyone. But, there were times when I wanted to punch her in the face for these same things. Her character development improved by leaps and bounds. No longer the stubborn, spoiled princess that makes only selfish choices, and for that, Miss Pearson, you are exceptional.

Oh, Rafe. Always my crush, I shipped them from the start of this series. We definitely see a darker side of him, and knowing that his choices are only out of fear and love for Lia doesn't quite make up for his assholeness. I wanted to remain in love with him, but it was difficult at times. He proved to be a great leader though, the love for his country apparent in his every action. Sadly, his duties do not always allow for selfish choices, even if they are out of love. No worries, his character definitely redeems himself eventually, but I had my doubts..

And Kaden, who I called a douche-canoe after the first book, redeems himself as well. He chooses to leave the komizar and fight against him. We see his compassion and understand his decisions a lot better. I fell in love with him in this final book which shocked the hell out of me. Once I dislike a character, I am steadfast in never changing my outlook on them, but he absolutely won me over! His loyalty to Lia, and eventually, to Rafe, was surprising and perfect.

As for the eventual battle between countries, I will leave that to you. No spoilers here! :)

I am going to wrap this up here; 5 out of 5 stars for The Beauty of Darkness. Hell, for the entire Remnant Chronicles Series. I loved it and hated it and wanted to rip my hair out all at the same time. I recommend this series to anyone and everyone. My heart hurts that it is finally over, but I find myself breathing a sigh of relief that it lived up to all of my expectations. Thank you again Miss Pearson for the joy of your writing. I hope, one day, you decide that a fourth book is in order. I would love to live in this world you created for just a little while longer.. <3


❝I cry out and fall to my knees,
unable to go on,
weeping for the dead,
weeping for the cruelties,
and a whisper calls to me from far away,
You are strong,
Stronger than your pain,
Stronger than your grief,
Stronger than them.
And I force myself to my feet again.❞

“Love didn’t end all at once, no matter how much you needed it to or how inconvenient it was. You couldn’t command love to stop any more than a marriage document could order it to appear. Maybe love had to bleed away a drop at a time until your heart was numb and cold and mostly dead.”

“It doesn’t matter how many universes come and go, I will always remember who we were together.”

Related Reviews
| Kiss of Deception | Heart of Betrayal |

Connect with Mary E. Pearson
| Official Site | @MaryPearson | Blog |

1 comment: