Friday, May 12, 2017

Book Review: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

fantasy book review Six of Crows
By Leigh Bardugo
Series: Six of Crows #1
Hardcover: 462 pages
Publication Date: September 29, 2015
Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ✰ ( 4 out of 5 Stars )

| Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |
| Official Site | @LBardugo | Facebook |
Related Reviews: | Young Elites | Red Queen |
Categories: Fantasy, Magic

Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:

Break into the notorious Ice Court (a military stronghold that has never been breached)

Retrieve a hostage (who could unleash magical havoc on the world)

Survive long enough to collect his reward (and spend it)

Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.

fantasy book reviews

This book started off extremely slow for me. I have read so much hype surrounding this series that in the beginning, I have to admit, I was beyond disappointed. I feel like if I would have read the Grisha Series first, I would have followed along a lot better than I did. Once the story picked up though, I found myself unable to put this book down. The plot grows intense quite quickly, and the plethora of view points can seem daunting until the reader grows accustomed to the characters.

Kaz Brekker is a mastermind, and hands down, one of my favorite book characters.

"Kaz Brekker didn't need a reason. Those were the words whispered on the streets of Ketterdam, in the taverns and coffeehouses, in the dark and bleeding alleys of the pleasure district known as the Barrel. The boy they called Dirtyhands didn't need a reason any more than he needed permission-.."
It seemed there was no situation that he couldn't find a way out of, unscathed and never the worse for the wear. His past came out in bits and pieces throughout the story, and his history only made me fall in love with him more. There were so many times when I held my breath, reading about some crazy, idiotic, dangerous scenario that he found himself in. Only to be rewarded with some insane scheme that usually ended up making me laugh at the audacity of the 17 year old professional thief.
"You draw on me again, I'll break both your wrists, and you'll have to hire someone to help you take a piss."
I enjoyed his ability to surprise me, and he was able to do so many, many times. But most of all, I loved his brokenness. His need for vengeance. Miss Bardugo wrote a truly amazing character with Kaz and I cannot wait to read more of his adventures!

The other characters that graced the pages of Six of Crows were wonderfully written as well. Inej was so badass, I felt like she could do anything her mind asked of her. She was graceful and lithe, an acrobat thief capable of staying hidden in front of your very eyes. Nina and Matthius were strong characters as well, and I ship them so hard. Their history together became more clear throughout the adventure of this book, and if they can overcome their mistakes, they could be an amazing couple!

"Many boys will bring you flowers. But some day, you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart."
So much yes! This is one of my favorite quotes from any book ever. It is perfect and beautiful and exactly what I will tell my daughter someday.

The multiple settings of this story were beautifully described, and I could see them clearly in my mind. The Ice Court left the haunting impression of a violent society's ultimate show of power. An impenetrable fortress used to both torture prisoners and court the most powerful that society has to offer. Any Grisha found behind these walls could expect nothing less than slavery and torture. I hated it and loved it, all at the same time. I never truly was able to grasp the concept that they were to kidnap this man, the creator of jurda parem, a powerful drug given to Grisha that increases their powers exponentially. Why not just kill him? Death would eliminate the possibility that he could recreate the drug, therefore making the world a better place, happily ever after and all that..

To wrap up this rambling review, I really did fall in love with this story, but it took a minute. Give it time, and you may find yourself thrown into the world of Kaz Brekker and his rag tag crew of misfits as well. (:

Related Reviews
| Young Elites | Red Queen |

Connect with Leigh Bardugo
| Official Site | @LBardugo | Facebook |
fantasy book reviews

9 comments:

  1. So sad that I can't pick up any series before I finish another one. (The rules we put on ourselves..)
    This is so high on my list! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same exact thing so I understand completely! What series are you reading?

      Delete
  2. Nice review! This one is so hyped that I've been hesitant to start it, fearing disappointment, but it's nice to know that after a slow start it really takes off. And the characters sound awesome. I'm definitely going to move this one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost put it down and found a different book to read. I'm so thankful I didn't. I fell in love with all of the characters and the plot picks up a lot after a few chapters! Good luck and I hope you enjoy it Greg!

      Delete
  3. Great review! I am glad you enjoyed it! I have been waiting forever to read this one, but I want to read the Grisha trilogy first and I have already read the first one in that, I am just procrastinating lol
    Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have yet to read the Grisha Trilogy yet. I swear, I'm getting there! The baby keeps me crazy busy these days, I'm down to reading a book a week. With Bookstagram and all the social media that goes along with it, commenting on others' blogs.. arg! It's a tough balance to maintain. (:

      Delete
  4. This is the first time I've read this synopsis and it sounds really good. The thing is that I got tired of the Grisha series and I don't trust this author not to bore me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I neglected to read the Grisha Trilogy before I dove into this one. It's on my tbr but I've heard so many mixed things about it. I kind of just keep putting it off. This duology was really good though, and I definitely recommend reading it at some point! (:

      Delete
  5. Yes, this one did start off slow didn't it! I also read it without having read the Grisha series (I'll remedy that soon!) so it was a little like being thrown in the deep end but I'm so glad that I persisted!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete